University of Sydney
The University of Sydney
is the oldest university
and is in the state of New South Wales
The University was established in 1850 and offered its first degree in liberal arts, in 1852. This degree required three years study of Greek, Latin, Maths, and Science.
The University has a number of campuses and is has continued to expand over the years. At present the campuses are:
- Originally housed in what is now Sydney grammar school, in 1855 the government granted the land that is now the main Camperdown campus. The architect Edmund Blacket designed the original gothic sandstone Quadrangle and Great Tower buildings, which were completed in 1862, although there are many departmental buildings now. The campus houses the headquarters of the University, and the schools of arts, science, education, medicine, and engineering.
- This holds the nursing faculty.
- Formerly an independent institution (the Cumberland College of Health Sciences) this was incorporated into the university as part of the higher education reforms of the late 1980s. This houses various fields ancillary to medicine, such as physiotherapy, speech therapy, radiation therapy.
- Near St. James station in the centre of Sydney, this is located just over the road from the NSW Supreme Court.
- Located near the botanic gardens, the conservatorium of music was acquired in the 1990s. The conservatorium was the subject of a famous documentary called "Facing the music" dealing with the characters of this department.
- Located at Orange in rural NSW, this joined in 1994.
- Located on Sydney's southwest rural fringe, this houses research farms for agriculture and veterinary science.
- Located at Narrabi, near the Queensland border.
Until recently, the university also operated the Museum of Contemporary Art.
The university's library, the Fisher Library[?], is the largest in the southern hemisphere and possesses one of the two extant copies of the Gospel of Barnabas.