June 28 is the 179th day of the year (180th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 186 days remaining.
- 1243 - Innocent IV[?] becomes pope.
- 1519 - Charles V elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire.
- 1635 - Guadeloupe becomes a French colony.
- 1651 - Battle of Beresteczko between Poles and Ukrainians, the biggest battle in the 17th century, starts.
- 1838 - Queen Victoria crowned.
- 1894 - Labor Day becomes an official US holiday.
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria and his wife Sophia are killed by a Serbian nationalist, the casus belli of World War I.
- 1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed, ending World War I.
- 1936 - The puppet state of Mengjiang is formed, with Demchugdongrub as the head.
- 1950 - Seoul captured by troops from North Korea.
- 1960 - US-owned oil refineries in Cuba confiscated and nationalised.
- 1967 - Israel annexes East Jerusalem.
- 1978 - The United States Supreme Court, in Regents of the University of California v. Bakke 438 US 265 1978, bars quota systems in college admissions but affirms constitutionality of programs giving advantage to minorities.
- 1990 - Paperback Software, a company founded by Adam Osborne, found guilty by a U.S. court of copyright violation for copying the appearance and menu system of Lotus 1-2-3 in its competing spreadsheet program.
- 1997 - Boxer Mike Tyson is disqualified for biting off part of the ear of his opponent Evander Holyfield.
- 1476 - Pope Paul IV[?]
- 1491 - Henry VIII, king of England (+ 1547)
- 1577 - Peter Paul Rubens, painter (+ 1640)
- 1712 - Jean-Jacques Rousseau, philosopher (+ 1778)
- 1807 - Anton Philipp Reclam[?], publisher (+ 1895)
- 1867 - Luigi Pirandello, dramatist and narrator, recipient of the Nobel Prize in literature 1934 (+ 1936)
- 1902 - Richard Rodgers, composer (+ 1979)
- 1902 - John Dillinger, gangster (+ 1934)
- 1906 - Paul-Emile Victor[?]
- 1906 - Maria Goeppert-Mayer, physicist, recipient of the Nobel Prize in physics 1963 (+ 1972)
- 1914 - Lester Flatt, bluegrass musician (+1979)
- 1926 - Mel Brooks, filmmaker
- 1932 - Pat Morita[?], actor
- 1946 - Gilda Radner, actress (+ 1989)
- 1948 - Clarence Thomas, Supreme Court judge
- 1948 - Kathy Bates[?], actress
- 1960 - John Elway[?], National Football League player
- 767 - Pope Paul I[?]
- 1598 - Abraham Ortelius, cartographer
- 1836 - James Madison, president of the US
- 1914 - Franz Ferdinand, Archduke of Austria (assassination)
- 1975 - Rod Serling, scriptwriter, host of The Twilight Zone)
- 1980 - Josť Iturbi[?], musician, conductor
- 1981 - Terry Fox, cancer activist
- 1989 - Joris Ivens, filmmaker
- 1997 - Mrs. Miller, singer
- 2001 - Jack Lemmon, actor
- 2001 - Joan Sims, actress
- 2001 - Jim Ellis[?], co-creator of Usenet
- 2001 - Mortimer Adler, philosopher
June 27 - June 29 - May 28 - July 28 -- listing of all days
January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December