Dorsetshire) is a county in the southwest of England
. The county town is Dorchester[?]
The seaside resort of Bournemouth and the town of Poole cover the southeast of the county, which is otherwise mostly rural.
Blandford St. Mary[?] is home to the Badger brewery of Hall & Woodhouse, whilst Weymouth[?] is a seaside resort town with royal links. Jutting out into the English Channel is Portland Bill[?].
Dorset is famed in literature for being the native county of Thomas Hardy and many of the places he describes in his novels in the fictional Wessex are in Dorset.
Towns and villages
- Beaminster[?], Blandford Forum[?], Bournemouth
- Christchurch, Corfe Castle
- East Lulworth[?]
- Iwerne Courtney[?], Iwerne Minster[?]
- Kington Magna
- Lyme Regis, Lytchett Matravers[?], Lytchett Minster[?]
- Melcombe Regis[?]
- Poole, Puddletown[?]
- Shaftesbury, Sherborne[?], St. Ives, Dorset Sturminster Marshall[?], Sturminster Newton[?], Swanage[?]
- Wareham[?], West Lulworth[?], Weymouth[?]
- Wimborne Minster
Places of interest