December 30 is the 364th day of the year (365th in leap years) in the Gregorian Calendar, with 1 day remaining.
- 1460 - Wars of the Roses: The Duke of York is defeated at the Battle of Wakefield
- 1862 - USS Monitor sinks off Cape Hatteras[?], North Carolina
- 1853 - Gadsden Purchase: The United States buys land from Mexico to facilitate railroad building in the Southwest
- 1879 - The Pirates of Penzance is first performed (Paignton, Devon, England)
- 1880 - The Transvaal becomes a republic and Paul Kruger becomes its first president
- 1897 - Natal annexes Zululand
- 1903 - A fire at the Iroquois Theater[?] in Chicago kills 600.
- 1919 - Lincoln's Inn, in London admits its first female bar student.
- 1922 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) is formed.
- 1924 - Edwin Hubble announces the existence of other galaxies.
- 1936 - The United Auto Workers[?] union stages its first sit-down strike.
- 1940 - California opens its first freeway the Arroyo Seco Parkway[?].
- 1943 - Chandra Bose[?] raises the flag of Indian independence at Port Blair[?].
- 1944 - King George II of Greece declares a regency, leaving his throne vacant
- 1947 - King Michael of Romania abdicates
- 1948 - The play Kiss Me Kate opens for the first of 1,077 performances.
- 1953 - The first color television sets go on sale for about $1,175 (American dollars) .
- 1965 - Ferdinand Marcos becomes President of the Philippines[?]
- 1972 - Vietnam War: The US halts heavy bombing of North Vietnam.
- 1976 - The Smothers Brothers play their last show (Aladdin Hotel[?] in Las Vegas).
- 1980 - After 25 years, the longest-running prime-time TV series The Wonderful World of Disney[?] is cancelled by NBC.
- 1993 - Israel and the Vatican establish diplomatic relations.
- 1996 - In the Indian state of Assam, a passenger train is bombed by Bodo separatists killing 26.
- 1996 - Proposed budget cuts by Benjamin Netanyahu spark protests from 250,000 workers who shut down services across Israel.
- 1997 - In the worst incident in Algeria's insurgency, 400 people are killed from four villages.
- 2000 - Rizal Day Bombings[?]: A series of bombs explode in various places in Metro Manila, Philippines within a span of a few hours killing 22 and injuring about a hundred.
- 39 - Titus, Roman Emperor (+ 81)
- 1819 - Theodor Fontane, poet (+ 1898)
- 1865 - Rudyard Kipling, writer and recipient of the Nobel Prize in literature 1907 (+ 1936)
- 1873 - Al Smith[?], United States politician (+ 1944)
- 1884 - Hideki Tojo, Prime Minister of Japan (+ 1948)
- 1906 - Carol Reed, film director (+ 1976)
- 1906 - Johann Adolf Graf von Kielmannsegg[?], general
- 1910 - Paul Bowles, composer, author (+ 1999)
- 1911 - Jeanette Nolan[?], actress (+ 1998)
- 1914 - Bert Parks[?], television host (+ 1992)
- 1920 - Jack Lord[?], actor (+ 1998)
- 1928 - Bo Diddley, singer, musician
- 1931 - Skeeter Davis[?], singer
- 1934 - Russ Tamblyn[?], actor, dancer, singer
- 1934 - Del Shannon, singer (+ 1990)
- 1935 - Sandy Koufax, Baseball Hall of Famer
- 1937 - Paul Stookey[?], folk music singer
- 1937 - John Hartford, musician (+ 2001)
- 1938 - Joseph Bologna[?], actor
- 1942 - Fred Ward[?], actor
- 1942 - Michael Nesmith, singer, musician
- 1942 - Vladimir Bukovsky[?], author and civil rights activist
- 1945 - Davy Jones, singer
- 1946 - Patti Smith, singer
- 1947 - Jeff Lynne, rock singer-musician
- 1956 - Suzy Bogguss[?], country singer
- 1957 - Matt Lauer[?], newscaster
- 1959 - Tracey Ullman, actress, singer
- 1961 - Douglas Coupland, author
- 1965 - Heidi Fleiss, celebrity prostitute
- 1973 - Jason Behr[?], actor
- 1975 - Tiger Woods, golfer
- 1976 - Meredith Monroe[?], actress
- 1978 - Tyrese[?], singer
- 1980 - Eliza Dushku, actress
- 1982 - Kristin Kreuk, actress
Holidays and observances:
December 29 - December 31 - November 30 - January 30 -- listing of all days
January, February, March, April, May, June, July,
August, September, October, November, December