Centuries: 20th century - 21st century - 22nd century
Decades: 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s - 2000s - 2010s 2020s 2030s 2040s 2050s
Years: 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 - 2004 - 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009
- February - Prime Minister Jean Chretien has chosen to step down as Prime Minister of Canada this month.
- April 19 - Partial solar eclipse (Southern Africa)
- May 1 - expected enlargement of the European Union to include admission of further 10 member-states: Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, Malta and Cyprus.
- June 8 - First solar transit of the planet Venus since 1882; the next one will occur in 2012.
- In July, the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft arrives at Saturn.
- August 13 through August 29 - 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens.
- September 29 - the asteroid 4179 Toutatis passes within 4 lunar distances of Earth.
- October 14 - Partial solar eclipse (North east Asia, North Pacific).
- November 2 - U.S. presidential election. George W. Bush will almost certainly be on the Republican ticket, but who will be on the Democratic ticket?