1989 in music
1988 in music,
other events of 1989,
1990 in music and the
list of 'years in music'.
- January 14 - Paul McCartney releases Back in the U.S.S.R.[?] exclusively in Russia. Bootleg copies sell for as much as $1,000 in the United States
- January 23 - James Brown is sentenced in Georgia to 6 years in jail in connection with a police chase through two different states
- January - Phil Keaggy and Randy Stonehill form the "Keaggy/Stonehill Band" for a one time tour that pays tribute to 1960s artists like The Beatles. Tim Chandler plays bass for the band and David Raven plays drums.
- February 12 - Tiny Tim launches an unsuccessful campaign to be the mayor of New York City.
- February - Roy Orbison joins Elvis Presley as the only singers to ever simultaneously have two Top 5 albums on the Billboard Charts
- February 17 - Whitesnake's David Coverdale[?] marries Tawny Kitaen[?]
- March 6 - Smokey Robinson's autobiography Inside My Life is published
- April - Three young men attempt to mug record producer and author Reed Arvin. Reed, being a rather large man, was able to go home with his money. The three young men were forced to return to their homes empty handed and nursing a few bruises.
- April 9 - The Rolling Stones' Bill Wyman[?] announces that he's getting married to 19 year old Mandy Smith, whom he has dated for 6 years
- April 28 - Jon Bon Jovi marries his high school sweetheart Dorothea Hurley at the Graceland Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas, Nevada
- May 1 - California jewelry store employees call the police reporting a suspicious person hanging around their store. The person turned out to be Michael Jackson shopping in disguise
- Summer - L7 sign a a contract with Sub Pop Records[?]
- LL Cool J is booed offstage at the Apollo Theater[?]
- Guttermouth forms
- Marilyn Manson forms
- The Chemical Brothers form
- Firehouse[?] forms
- The Sweet Children change their name to Green Day, add drummer Al Sobrante[?] and release the EP 1,000 Hours, their debut recording
- Monster Magnet forms
- The Plasmatics reunite
- Orbital releases their first recording, "Chime", which had premiered on Jackin' Zone[?] the previous year