1986 in music
1985 in music,
other events of 1986,
1987 in music and the
list of 'years in music'.
- January 23 - The first induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (Chuck Berry, James Brown, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis Presley)
- February 11 - Culture Club lead singer Boy George appears on an episode of The A-Team
- February 14 - Frank Zappa appears on an episode of the popular television series Miami Vice[?]. Zappa portrays a crime boss named "Mr. Frankie".
- February 22 - In honor of the 20th anniversary of The Monkees premiering on television, MTV broadcasts "Pleasant Valley Sunday," a 22-hour marathon of Monkees episodes.
- March 26 - Guns N' Roses signs a contract with Geffen Records
- March 27 - Sammy Hagar[?] performs his first concert as the lead singer of Van Halen
- April 12 - The Go-Go's Belinda Carlisle[?] marries actor Morgan Mason[?]
- May 5 - In New York, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Chairman Ahmet Ertegen[?] announces that Cleveland, Ohio has been chosen as the city where the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame will be built
- May 10 - Tommy Lee of Mötley Crüe marries actress Heather Locklear.
- May 21 - Harrison Birtwistle's opera The Mask of Orpheus is premiered in London
- Jello Biafra/Dead Kennedys taken to court by the PMRC for content in their album Frankenchrist; Biafra wins
- The Escape Club signs a contract to EMI Records
- Public Enemy signs a contract to Def Jam Records
- Black Flag breaks up
- White Zombie begin performing
- Pixies begin performing
- Poison begins their recording career
- Dick Dale mounts a comeback effort
- Pixies forms
- Skid Row forms