Centuries: 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
Decades: 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s - 1930s - 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s
Years: 1925 1926 1927 1928 1929 - 1930 - 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935
- January 6 - The first diesel-engine automobile trip is completed (Indianapolis, Indiana, to New York City).
- February 18 - While studying photographs taken in January, Clyde Tombaugh discovers Pluto
- February 18 - Elm Farm Ollie[?] becomes the first cow to fly in an airplane and also the first cow to be milked in an airplane.
- March 12 - Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march protest march to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt
- March 28 - Constantinople and Angora change their names to Istanbul and Ankara
- March 29 - Heinrich Brüning is appointed German Reichskanzler.
- March 31 - The Motion Pictures Production Code is instituted, imposing strict guidelines on the treatment of sex, crime, religion and violence in motion pictures for the next forty years.
- April 5 - In an act of civil disobedience, Mahatma Gandhi breaks British law after marching to the sea and making salt.
- April 6 - Hostess Twinkies are invented.
- April 22 - The United Kingdom, Japan and the United States sign the London Naval Treaty regulating submarine warfare and limiting shipbuilding.
- May 15 - Aboard a Boeing tri-motor, Ellen Church[?] becomes the first airline stewardess[?] (the flight was from Oakland, California to Chicago, Illinois).
- May 24 - Amy Johnson lands in Darwin, Australia becoming the first woman to fly from England to Australia (she left on May 5 for the 11,000 mile flight).
- August 7 - Richard Bedford Bennett becomes Canada's eleventh prime minister.
- Neutron discovered by W. Bothe and H. Becker
Art, Culture & Fashion
- January 3 - Robert Loggia[?], actor
- January 4 - Don Shula[?], American football coach
- January 10 - Roy Edward Disney, film executive
- January 11 - Rod Taylor[?], Australian actor
- January 12 - Glenn Yarborough[?], singer, songwriter
- January 13 - Frances Sternhagen[?], actress
- January 20 - Buzz Aldrin, astronaut
- January 23 - Derek Walcott, author
- January 25 - Dean Jones[?], actor
- January 30 - Gene Hackman, actor
- February 3 - Gillian Ayres, painter
- February 10 - Robert Wagner[?], actor
- February 11 - Alevtina Koltschina[?] Soviet skier.
- February 11 - C. H. Dearnley[?], organist.
- February 13 - Ernst Fuchs[?], painter and graphic artist
- February 17 - Ruth Barbara Rendell[?], writer
- February 27 - Joanne Woodward, actress
- March 3 - Heiner Geißler[?], politician
- March 6 - Lorin Maazel[?], opera conductor
- March 7 - Antony Armstrong-Jones[?], Lord Snowdon
- March 19 - Ornette Coleman, musician
- March 22 - Stephen Sondheim, composer and lyricist
- March 22 - Pat Robertson, televangelist
- March 24 - Steve McQueen, film director and producer (+ 1980)
- March 26 - Sandra Day O'Connor, US Supreme Court Justice.
- March 27 - David Janssen, actor (+ 1980)
- March 30 - John Astin[?], actor
- April 3 - Helmut Kohl, German chancellor
- April 25 - Paul Mazursky[?], director, writer
- May 10 - Pat Summerall[?], American football player, broadcaster
- May 15 - Jasper Johns, painter
- May 19 - Lorraine Hansberry[?], playwright (+ 1965)
- May 22 - Harvey Milk, politician, civil rights activist (+ 1978)
- May 31 - Clint Eastwood (actor, director, producer)
- June 27 - Ross Perot, billionaire and politician
- July 4 - George Steinbrenner[?], owner of the New York Yankees
- August 1 - Pierre Bourdieu, French sociologist
- August 5 - Neil Armstrong, astronaut, first person to walk on Earth's Moon
- August 25 - Sir Sean Connery, actor
- September 7 - Baudouin I of Belgium
- October 1 - Sir Richard Harris, actor
- October 5 - Pavel Popovich, cosmonaut
- October 8 - Toru Takemitsu, composer (+ 1996)
- October 10 - Harold Pinter, playwright
- October 30 - Timothy Findley, canadian author
- November 14 - Edward White, American astronaut
- December 11 - Jean-Louis Trintignant, actor