Centuries: 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
Decades: 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s - 1920s - 1930s 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s
Years: 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 - 1922 - 1923 1924 1925 1926 1927
- January 10 - Arthur Griffith is elected President of Dáil Éireann
- January 11 - First successful insulin treatment of diabetes.
- January 15 - Michael Collins becomes head of the (Irish) Provisional Government[?]
- January 24 - Christian K. Nelson[?] patents the Eskimo Pie[?].
- January 29 - Union of Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador is dissolved
- February 6 - Achille Ratti become Pope Pius XI.
- February 8 - President Warren G. Harding introduces the first radio in the White House.
- February 27 - A challenge to the Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution, allowing women the right to vote, is rebuffed by the Supreme Court of the United States.
- March 15 - After Egypt gains nominal independence from the United Kingdom, Fuad I becomes King of Egypt[?].
- March 18 - In India, Mohandas Gandhi is sentenced to six years in prison for civil disobedience. He would serve only 2 years.
- March 20 - The USS Langley is commissioned as the first United States Navy aircraft carrier.
- April 7 - Teapot Dome scandal: United States Secretary of the Interior leases Teapot Dome oil reserves in Wyoming.
- May 30 - In Washington, D.C., the Lincoln Memorial is dedicated.
- June - Start of Irish Civil War
- August 12 - death of Arthur Griffith, President of Dáil Éireann
- August 22 - Assassination of General Michael Collins - President of the Irish Provisional Government and Commander-in-Chief of the Provisional Army.
- October 28 - In Italy, with the March on Rome, Fascism obtains power and Mussolini becomes prime minister.
- November 1 - Ottoman Empire was abolished and its last sultan Mehmed VI Vahdettin abdicated.
- November 17 - Former Ottoman sultan Mehmed VI went on exile in Italy
- December 6 - The Irish Free State comes into existence. Tim Healy appointed first Governor-General of the Irish Free State, W.T. Cosgrave becomes President of the Executive Council.
- December 30 - The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR) is formed.
Art, Culture & Fashion
- January 7 - Jean-Pierre Rampal[?], musician
- January 13 - Albert Lamorisse[?], film director (+ 1970)
- January 17 - Betty White[?], actress
- January 17 - Nicholas Katzenbach[?], politician
- January 21 - Paul Scofield, actor
- January 30 - Dick Martin[?], comedian
- February 6 - Patrick Macnee, actor
- February 7 - Hattie Jacques, actress (+ 1980)
- February 9 - Kathryn Grayson, actress
- February 11 - Leslie Nielsen, actor.
- February 11 - Tudor Jarda[?], composer.
- February 15 - John Bayard Anderson, U.S Representative and presidential candidate
- February 18 - Helen Gurley Brown[?], editor, publisher
- February 24 - Richard Hamilton, pop-art painter
- February 24 - Steven Hill[?], actor
- March 1 - Yitzhak Rabin, Prime Minister of Israel and winner of the Nobel Peace Prize (+ 1995)
- March 1 - William Gaines, publisher, founder of MAD Magazine (+ 1992)
- March 5 - Pier Paolo Pasolini, film director
- March 8 - Heinar Kipphardt[?], dramatist, lyricist, narrator (+ 1922)
- March 12 - Jack Kerouac, US author
- March 18 - Egon Bahr[?], politician
- March 20 - Carl Reiner, director, producer, actor, comedian
- March 21 - Russ Meyer, pornographic film director, producer
- March 31 - Richard Kiley[?], actor, singer (+ 1999)
- April 1 - William Manchester[?], writer
- April 4 - Elmer Bernstein, composer
- April 5 - Gale Storm, singer/actress
- April 7 - Mongo Santamaria[?], Latin jazz[?] musician (+ 2003)
- April 22 - Charles Mingus, musician
- April 22 - Sir Kingsley Amis, English novelist (+ 1995)
- April 28 - Alistair Maclean[?], actor
- May 7 - Darren McGavin[?], actor
- May 14 - Franjo Tudjman, president of Croatia (+ 1999)
- May 17 - Dennis Brain, French horn player
- May 17 - Antje Weisgerber[?], actress
- May 18 - Kai Winding, jazz musician (+ 1983)
- May 22 - Quinn Martin[?], television producer (+ 1987)
- May 25 - Enrico Berlinguer, politician (+ 1984)
- May 27 - Christopher Lee, actor
- May 28 - Lou Duva, boxing trainer
- May 29 - Iannis Xenakis, composer
- May 30 - Hal Clement, science fiction writer
- May 31 - Denholm Elliott, actor (+ 1992)
- July 18 - Thomas Kuhn, philosopher of science
- September 1 - Vittorio Gassmann, Italian actor and director
- September 15 - Jackie Cooper, American actor and director
- November 8 - Christiaan Barnard, South African surgeon
- November 14 - Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Secretary General of the U.N.
- December 24-Howard R Grinde[?],U.S Army soldier in WWII