Centuries: 19th century - 20th century - 21st century
Decades: 1850s 1860s 1870s 1880s 1890s - 1900s - 1910s 1920s 1930s 1940s 1950s
Years: 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 - 1902 - 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907
- January 28 - The Carnegie Institution[?] is founded in Washington, DC with a $10 million gift from Andrew Carnegie.
- France, Loisy[?]'s L'évangile et l'Eglise[?] which inaugurates the Modernist Crisis[?]
- February 11 - Police beat up universal suffrage demonstrators in Brussels.
- March 10 - Circuit Court's decision disallows Thomas Edison from having a monopoly on motion picture technology.
- March 10 - Boer War: South African Boers win their last battle over British forces, with the capture of a British general and 200 of his men.
- April 2 - "Electric Theatre", the first movie theater in the United States , opens in Los Angeles, California.
- May 8 - In Martinique, Mount Pelee[?] erupts destroys the town of St. Pierre[?] and kills over 30,000 people. Only a small handful of St. Pierre's residents survived the blast.
- May 15 - In a field outside Grass Valley, California, Lyman Gilmore[?] reportedly becomes the first person to fly a powered airplane (a steam-powered glider).
- May 17 - Archaeologist Spyridon Stais[?] finds the Antikythera mechanism
- May 20 - Cuba gains independence from the United States
Art, Culture & Fashion
- January 6 - Max Güde[?], attorney (+ 1984)
- January 20 - Nazim Hikmet[?], lyricist and dramatist († 1963)
- January 31 - Alva Mydral[?], politician (+ 1986)
- January 31 - Tallulah Bankhead, actress (+ 1968)
- February 1 - Langston Hughes writer
- February 4 - Charles Lindbergh American aviator
- February 8 - Lyle Talbot[?], actor (+ 1996)
- February 10 - Walter Houser Brattain, scientist, winner of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956
- February 11 - Arne Jacobsen Danish architect/designer
- February 20 - Ansel Adams, photographer (+ 1984)
- February 27 - John Steinbeck American writer
- February 27 - Gene Sarazen, golfer
- March 7 - Heinz Rühmann[?], actor (+ 1994)
- March 9 - Will Geer[?], actor (+ 1978)
- March 16 - Leon Roppolo, jazz clarinetist (+ 1943)
- March 17 - Bobby Jones[?], golfer (+ 1971)
- March 21 - Son House, blues musician
- March 24 - Thomas Dewey, politician (+ 1971)
- March 28 - Dame Flora Robson, actress (+ 1984)
- March 29 - William Walton, composer
- March 29 - Marcel Aymé[?], narrator and dramatist, humorist and satirist (+ 1967)
- April 4 - Louise Leveque de Vilmorin[?], actress (+ 1969)
- May 6 - Max Ophüls, director (+ 1957)
- May 10 - Anatole Litvak[?], film director (+ 1974)
- May 10 - David O. Selznick, Hollywood film producer (+ 1965)
- May 15 - Richard J. Daley, mayor of Chicago, Illinois (+ 1976)
- May 18 - Meredith Willson[?], composer (+ 1984)
- May 21 - Marcel Lajos Breuer[?], architect (+ 1981)
- July 4 - George Murphy[?], dancer, actor, Senator from California (+ 1992)
- July 26 - Gracie Allen, actress, comedienne
- August 8 - Paul Dirac, physicist
- August 10 - Norma Shearer, Academy Award winning actress (+ 1983)
- August 11 - Alfredo Binda, Italian cyclist
- August 19 - Ogden Nash, poet
- August 22 - Leni Riefenstahl, German film director
- August 25 - Stefan Wolpe, composer (+ 1972)
- October 5 - Ray Kroc[?], founder of McDonald's Corporation