Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
Decades: 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s 1860s - 1870s - 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s 1920s
Years: 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 - 1874 - 1875 1876 1877 1878 1879
Arts, Sciences, Literature and Philosophy
- January 16 - Robert W. Service[?], poet (+ 1958)
- January 21 - Frederick Madison Smith, American religious leader and author.
- January 25 - William Somerset Maugham, (+ 1965)
- January 29 - John D. Rockefeller Jr.[?], entrepreneur
- February 1 - Hugo von Hofmannsthal, lyricist, dramatist, narrator, and essayist (+ 1929)
- February 3 - Gertrude Stein, writer and patron of the arts (+ 1946)
- February 9 - Amy Lowell, poet (+ 1925)
- February 11 - Elsa Beskow (Maartman), Swedish children's book/fairy tales author.
- February 11 - Fritz Bennicke Hart[?], composer.
- February 17 - Thomas J. Watson, computer pioneer, first president of IBM
- February 21 - The Oakland Daily Tribune[?] publishes its first newspaper.
- March 20 - Börries von Münchhausen[?], poet (+ 1945)
- March 24 - Harry Houdini, magician
- March 26 - Robert Frost, poet (+ 1963)
- March 29 - Lou Hoover[?], First Lady (+ 1944)
- April 25 - Guglielmo Marconi, Italian inventor, "the father of radio", recipient of the Nobel Prize in physics 1909 (+ 1937)
- May 29 - Gilbert Keith Chesterton, author
- June 16 - Arthur Meighen, the ninth Prime Minister of Canada.
- July 14 - Abbas II, a khedive of Egypt.
- September 13 - Arnold Schoenberg, Austrian composer
- September 21 - Gustav Holst, English composer
- October 20 - Charles Ives, American composer
- October 26 - Martin Lowry, English physical chemist.
- October 30 - Bin Ueda[?], Japanese writer.
- November 30 - Lucy Maude Montgomery, Canadian author.
- December 15 - Shoken Kamitsukasa[?], Japanese writer.
- December 22 - Franz Schmidt, composer