Centuries: 18th century - 19th century - 20th century
Decades: 1810s 1820s 1830s 1840s 1850s - 1860s - 1870s 1880s 1890s 1900s 1910s
Years: 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 - 1864 - 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869
- February 27 - American Civil War: The first Northern prisoners arrive at the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
- March 10 - American Civil War: The Red River Campaign[?] begins as Union troops reach Alexandria, Louisiana.
- April 22 - The United States Congress passes the Coinage Act of 1864[?] which mandates that the inscription "In God We Trust" needs to be placed on all coins minted as United States currency.
- May 7 - American Civil War: The Army of the Potomac, under General Ulysses S. Grant, breaks off from the Battle of the Wilderness and moves southwards.
- May 11 - American Civil War: Battle of Yellow Tavern[?] - Confederate General JEB Stuart is mortally wounded at Yellow Tavern, Virginia[?].
- May 12 - American Civil War: Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: The "Bloody Angle" - thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die.
- May 13 - American Civil War: Battle of Resaca[?] - the battle begins with Union General Sherman fighting toward Atlanta.
- May 15 - American Civil War: Battle of New Market, Virginia - Students from the Virginia Military Institute[?] fight alongside the Confederate Army to force Union General Franz Sigel[?] out of the Shenandoah Valley.
- May 20 - American Civil War: Battle of Bermuda Hundred[?] - In Virginia, 3,000 Confederates and l,200 Union troops are killed in this Union victory.
- May 26 - Montana is organized as a United States territory[?].
- August 22 - International Red Cross founded in Geneva, Switzerland.
- October 31 - Nevada is admitted as the 36th U.S. state.
- November - Abraham Lincoln defeats George B. McClellan in the U.S. presidential election
Literature, Arts, Sciences, Philosophy